Khar...A signature dish of Assamese people.....Our traditional Assamese meal always begins with 'Khar', a purely unique dish which is very simple to make and tasty to eat........There are variety of khar dishes.............Here I have shared Jikar Khar........
- Fried Fish head: 500 gms
- Ridge Gourd (jika): 2-3 medium size
- Mustard oil: 2 tbsps
- Crushed garlic cloves: 1/2 tbsp
- Slit green chilies: 2
- Salt: to taste
- Kolakhar: 1 tbsp or sodium bicarbonate: 1/4 tsp
- Peel and chop the Ridge gourds
- Heat oil and fry the garlic till brown.
- Add the fried fish head pieces and stir for a minute.
- Add chopped ridge gourd and stir for about half a minute.
- Add slit green chilies, salt,and kolakhar or sodium bicarbonate.
- Add water and stir and close cover.
- Cook for another 15 minutes and switch off the gas.
- The Jikar khar is ready to be served with rice.